The Philippines’ current energy mix highly favors fossil fuels, with coal, natural gas, and oil, accounting for 73.56% of the country’s total electrical energy needs, primarily due to their low cost. … This heavy dependence on coal is further apparent by the high number of coal-fired power plants in the country.
Why does the country continue to rely on fossil fuels?
The United States gets 81% of its total energy from oil, coal, and natural gas, all of which are fossil fuels. We depend on those fuels to heat our homes, run our vehicles, power industry and manufacturing, and provide us with electricity.
Why the Philippines should use renewable sources of energy?
Clean and renewable energy sources like geothermal, hydro, wind, biomass and solar energy are among the country’s few competitive advantages – especially since it has no significant deposits of fossil-fuels. Its continued dependence on imported fuel has made Philippine electricity rates among the highest in Asia.
What are the disadvantages of fossil fuels?
The disadvantages of fossil fuels are:
- The burning of coal and petroleum produces a lot of pollutants, causing air pollution.
- Fossil fuels release oxides of carbon, nitrogen, sulphur, etc., that cause acid rain, affecting soil fertility and potable water.
What happens if we continue to use fossil fuels?
What is the impact of fossil fuels on our planet? When fossil fuels are burned, they release large amounts of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into the air. Greenhouse gases trap heat in our atmosphere, causing global warming. Already the average global temperature has increased by 1C.
Where does Philippines get its oil?
In 2019, the Philippines imported various types of crude oil. Around 85 percent of the total crude mix (30,200 MB) was sourced from the UAE, Kuwait, Russia and Saudi Arabia. The remaining 15 percent was imported from ASEAN countries, Australia, Taiwan and South Korea.